In 1960, Arthur J. Rosenberg founded Tyco, Incorporated, which was later named Tyco International. Over the next four decades, Tyco experienced a roller-coaster ride with investments and divestments. In 2002, Tyco was embroiled in a corruption scandal, with money diverted to fund the lavish lifestyle of its chief executive Dennis Kozlowski.
Read the business case – Tyco International: Leadership Crisis – found in the Daniels Fund Ethics Institute – Then, answer the following questions in essay format:
- Provide a brief summary of the corruption case.
- Why is this a case of abuse of leadership power, unethical behavior, and corruption?
- Discuss why leaders are held to a high moral standard.
- What changes were put in place to address ethical conduct?
The paper should be double-spaced in Times New Roman font (or its equivalent), which is no greater than 12 points in size. The paper should cite sources in APA format. The paper should be well-written. Check all content for grammar, spelling, and construction.
- Code of ethics. (2022, November 20). Betterteam. https://www.betterteam.com/code-of-ethics-and-professional-conduct
- Amin, N. (2018, March 22). Are you a boss or a leader? Training Folks. https://www.trainingfolks.com/blog/boss-versus-leader Daniel Funds Ethics Institute. (2011).
- Tyco International: Leadership crisis. University of New Mexico.
- Darwish, D. (2017, August 11). For leadership to function properly, your followers need power too. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbescoachescouncil/2017/08/11/for-leadership-to-function-properly-your-followers-need-power-too/#71bdaaf97cb1
- Hao, M. J., & Yazdanifard, R. (2015). How effective leadership can facilitate change in organizations through improvement and innovation. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 15(9), 1-5. https://globaljournals.org/GJMBR_Volume15/1-How-Effective-Leadership.pdf
- Wroblewski, M. T. (2019, October 21). What is the difference between leadership style and leadership traits? Chron. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-leadership-style-leadership-traits-34649.html
- Tafvelin, S., Nielsen, K., Schwartz, U., & Stenling, A. (2019, March 11). Leading well is a matter of resources: Leader vigour and peer support augments the relationship between transformational leadership and burnout. Work & Stress – An International Journal of Work, Health & Organisations, 33(2), 156-172. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02678373.2018.1513961
- Tsang, A. (2019, March 6). Carlos Ghosn is out of jail. What happens next? New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/06/business/carlos-ghosn-nissan.html