Write a 1750-2000 word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer the questions for each bullet point. There should be separate sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) citations in your essay. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page do not count towards the minimum word amount. Essay Questions:
1. The definition of teaching in this chapter discusses how a professional can modify his or her behavior to influence students as it is the only behavior a professional has control over. Give three examples of different kinds of inappropriate behavior involving interruptions by students in class and discuss how a professional’s influence can change each.
2. The textbook supports the use of a decision-making hierarchical approach to managing the learning environment. Discuss the pros and cons to such an approach.
3. Write a scenario of a typical learning environment where only a few of the 30 students participate in the learning environment discussions and, when they do so, they give very short answers. Then, in the next paragraph, discuss four ways a professional can turn this situation around so most students will be raising their hands to participate, and do so with more detailed and well thought-out answers.
4. Look at the list of student behaviors on page 46 in Chapter 2 of the textbook. Choose 10 of these behaviors and give at least one type of “wrong” behavior a teacher may be employing that might make student misbehavior increase.
List of Behaviors Ch. 2, p.46:
1. A student consistently tries to engage the teacher in conversation just as class is about to begin.
2. A student continually comes to class 1 minute late.
3. A teacher stands in the hallway talking to fellow teachers during the first 3 minutes of class.
4. A student does math homework during social studies class.
5. A student interrupts a lecture to ask permission to go to the bathroom.
6. A student often laughs at answers given by other students.
7. A student doesn’t wear safety goggles while welding in industrial arts class.
8.A first grader continually volunteers to answer questions but never has an answer when he is called on.
9. A fourth grader refuses to wear a jacket during recess.
10. A seventh grader constantly pulls the hair of the girl who sits in front of him.
11. An eighth-grade boy spends half of the time allotted for group work texting a girl in the class to go out with him.
12. A ninth-grade student consistently uses the last 2 minutes of class for Pinterest viewing.
13. An unkempt student can’t get involved in group work because all students refuse to sit near him.
14. A student continually asks good questions, diverting the teacher from the planned lesson.
15. A student eats a candy bar during class.
16. A student flirts with the teacher by asking questions about his clothes and personal life during class.
17. A student consistently makes wisecracks that entertain the rest of the class.